A T-shirt is an undershirt that owes its name to its “T” shape, without collar and initially with short sleeves but possibly with long sleeves, hood or turtleneck. It is made of mesh fabric (stretchy), usually cotton or polyester fibre.
Last update 2020-02-15 at 23:26
History of T Shirt
The T-shirt, an emblematic American garment, was allegedly borrowed from United States Navy soldiers and Royal Navy sailors.
According to another hypothesis of a European loan, American troops fighting in Europe during the First World War would have appropriated the light cotton underwear of local workers and soldiers.
This undergarment became the regulatory undershirt of the US Navy in 1919. It became an outer garment around 1930, thanks to sport and cinema, especially after Clark Gable’s appearance in this outfit in the 1934 film New York-Miami.
According to some sources, the modern version of the T-shirt was the result of a collaboration in 1932 between the textile firm Cooper’s Jockey and the University of Southern California Trojans football team. It became an almost universal garment when the G.I. arrived in Europe in 1943, through the massive production of a model designating its shape as the “T-Type Shirt”.
In July 1942, Life magazine appeared with a photograph of a soldier wearing a t-shirt bearing the inscription “Air Corps Gunnery School” on the cover.
In the 1950s, Marlon Brando and James Dean popularized it. After the film The Fury of Living with James Dean, the T-shirt became the reference casual clothing.
The historical manufacturers of this garment are: Fruit of the Loom (Rhode Island, 1851), P.H. Hanes Knitting Company (Hanes, Winston-Salem, 1902), Pilgrim (Sears-Roebuck and Co, Chicago, 1886), and Cooper’s Jockey.
Gildan Men's Crew T-Shirt Multipack, Assorted Black/Grey (5 Pack), Medium
- Classic crew neck t-shirt
- Comfortable tag free neck
- Soft touch undershirt with a classic fit that lays flat
- Cool Spire Moisture wicking - keeps you cool and dry
- Shoulder to shoulder covered seam for durability
Hanes mens Hanes Men's Comfortsoft Short Sleeve T-shirt,Black,Medium
- Tear-away Tag
- Comes in a ComfortSoft T-Shirt with the benefit of a heavyweight fabric
Hanes Men's Short-Sleeve Beefy T-Shirt,Black,Large
- Heavyweight and durable, yet super-soft ring-spun cotton
- Full cut provides roomier fit
- Non-chafe fabric taping reinforces neck and shoulders
- Lay flat collar keeps its shape wash after wash
- Black satin label easily removed for tag-free comfort
Fruit of the Loom Men's Crew Neck T-Shirt Multipack, Assorted (5 Pack), Large
- Stays tucked
- Collar lays flat and stays flat
- Tag free for all-day comfort
- Soft covered seams on neck and shoulders
- Stitched hem
Carhartt Men's Big and Tall K87 Workwear Short Sleeve T-Shirt (Regular and Big & Tall Sizes), Black, Large
- Carhartt Company Gear Collection
- 100% Cotton (60% Cotton /40% Polyester - Carbon Heather, Dark Cobalt Blue Heather) (90% Cotton/10% Polyester - Heather Grey)(99% Cotton/1% Polyester - Ash)
- Generously cut sizing, tends to run big
- Made in multiple countries (DO-Dominican Republic,GT-Guatemala,HN -Honduras,HT-Haiti,MX- Mexico,VN- Vietnam)
- Left-chest pocket with sewn-on Carhartt label
Gildan Men's G2000 Ultra Cotton Adult T-Shirt, Black, X-Large
- Seamless double needle collar
- Taped neck and shoulders for durability
- Double needle sleeve and bottom hem
- Tubular fit for minimal torque
Amazon Essentials Men's 2-Pack Loose-Fit Short-Sleeve Crewneck T-Shirts, Black, X-Large
- Made in Pakistan
- Same fit, new name: We’ve changed the name of this shirt style to “Loose Fit” but the measurements remain the same
- Two-pack of tees in a classic, roomy fit featuring a clean front and classic short sleeves
- Printed neck label
- Ribbed crew neckline
Under Armour Men's Tech 2.0 Short Sleeve T-Shirt, Black (001)/Graphite, Large
- UA Tech fabric is quick-drying, ultra-soft & has a more natural feel
- Material wicks sweat & dries really fast
- Anti-odor technology prevents the growth of odor-causing microbes
- New, streamlined fit & shaped hem
Champion Men's Classic Jersey Script T-Shirt, Black, M
- Ring spun cotton fabric for extra softness. Oxford 90% cotton/10% polyester, trim
- Athletic fit for comfort
- Narrow collar for a more modern fit
- Left chest 'C' logo and C patch on sleeve
- Available in solids and graphics
Last update 2020-02-15 at 23:26